[PlanetCCRMA] Kernel Panic

Sat Nov 23 08:40:03 2002

> kmod: Failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-3, errno=2
> VFS: cannot open root deice "hda5" oe 03:05
> Please append a correct "root" boot option
> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root FS on 03:05

Most probably the ll kernel is not able to deal with the particular hard
disk controller you are using on that machine. That message means that the
kernel could not access the main "root" partition.

>    What can we do to debug this and find out what's wrong?

Not much right now, I'm leaving on a trip (in one hour and I'm not done)
and will be back on the 2nd. I'll probably read mail but I don't know how
much time I'll have to actually answer it :-)

You could rebuild the alsa driver source rpm so that at least you can
temporarily use the redhat kernel with the alsa drivers. There's a small
section on that in the planet pages (not very detailed I'm afraid).

>    Thanks in advance for your help. I didn't think this was going to be the
> way my weekend started.

Sorry about this, I have to look again at what to do with the kernel
(newer ones are killed by jack).

-- Fernando