[PlanetCCRMA] Kernel Panic

Mark Knecht markknecht@attbi.com
Sat Nov 23 07:40:02 2002

Fernando,
   I'm having problems bringing up my main DAW in my home studio. Up until
now it has been a Win ME box running Pro Tools with a Digi 001, and has at
times in the past run Redhat very well. The machine is very stable. It runs
an Asus A7V266-E with an Athlon XP 1600+, 256MB, etc.

   The machine is dual boot and runs RH 7.3 as the alternative OS. It is
completely stable with RH also.

   Dual boot is handled using System Commander 7, as with the other 3
systems I have set up using the Planet.

   I am on this machine now, in Windows.

   I have installed RH7.3 workstation, then installed apt and done
everything up to the step where the kernel is installed and I do the reboot.
2.4.18 is still operational, but 2.4.19.ll fails with the following
messages:

kmod: Failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-3, errno=2
VFS: cannot open root deice "hda5" oe 03:05
Please append a correct "root" boot option
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root FS on 03:05

   OK, so I'm no Linux guru, but I looked at /boot/grub/grup.conf and it
looks pretty reasonable. I also looked at the boot directory and found a
number of files for both 2.4.18 and 2.4.19.ll. The names look OK, but I
don't know if the contents of the files is correct.

   I've done the install 3 times now since last night. It fails the same way
every time. I've installed Linux in both standard partitions and extended
partitions before with no problems, and I've done it on this machine and
it's working with the standard RH distribution kernel, but not with the
Planet kernel?

   What can we do to debug this and find out what's wrong?

   I will send the error messages to the Redhat lists and see if anyone has
a suggestion. Sometimes there are command line options that help this sort
of thing...

   Thanks in advance for your help. I didn't think this was going to be the
way my weekend started.

Cheers,
Mark