[PlanetCCRMA] Re: Preemptible kernel patch

Sat Nov 16 10:50:02 2002

> Thank you very much for the information, it worked perfect!. I was also able
> to customize other kernel features to my needs (ntfs, pentium4 etc). The only
> little problem is that now I don't have sound ;-). Do I have to do a similar
> procedure to compile the alsa drivers for my "customized" kernel?

Wow, congratulations! It worked! :-)
Could you send me a tar.gz of the "configs" directory of the resulting
kernel-source package? So that I can see what was changed and try to
propagate what I can to the next planetary kernel? (I have already
enabled ntfs read support in my test builds)

As for the sound, it is much simpler than the kernel stuff. Just get the
src.rpm for the alsa-driver package that corresponds to the alsa version
you are running and rebuild the binaries (while booted into the new
kernel). The build process will create two binary rpms, just install the
one that has the version of the new kernel in its name (it contains just
the kernel modules compiled for the new kernel). After that restart alsa
and you should be up and running....

-- Fernando