[PlanetCCRMA] jack memory leak?

Mark Knecht mknecht@controlnet.com
Thu Nov 14 07:02:02 2002

Steve,
   I left the machine with jack running overnight. The memory usage (as
displayed by top) this morning (7AM) is now 260556K, up from about 85000K
yesterday when I left the office at 4PM. No other 'applications' are
running. Obviously lots of other 'stuff' is running.

   If this memory usage is disk buffers, how might I be able to determine
that? Is there any way to tell Linux to return 'unused' memory, or
specifically to return the memory in these disk buffers? Seems like there
should be some sort of 'invalidate cache' command.

   I'm sure Linux probably did something over night that used the disk, but
I didn't. It could simply be some cron job I suppose. If I was to run some
huge application that took a gigabyte of memory, and then closed that app,
would the memory get used and then returned and my system go back to boot
levels? Or would that app stay cached and top tell me that all of my memory
is used?

   None of the process entries in top appear to have changed size, including
jack.

   Again, I'm not concerned, but would like to be able know what is causing
this.

Thanks,
Mark