[Jackit-devel] Re: [PlanetCCRMA] jack memory leak?

Mark Knecht mknecht@controlnet.com
Wed Nov 13 15:40:01 2002

Jeremy,
   Kai took this note to the jack list faster than I wanted. I'm a newbie
(60 days maybe?) and not even sure of these results, so please, please,
please do not take any of this too seriously.

   I actually asked my first questions on the Redhat install lists just to
make sure I wasn't totally off base, and I'm still not 100% sure it's really
even jack, so let's not have anyone react in any strong way to me asking a
question.

   I typically have these machines up for days. Over those periods of time I
get to the point where top is telling me that I have 512MB or DRAM and 490MB
is being used. However, during those days I will run many applications.
However, I seem to close them and the memory usage persists, so I asked
about jack. I close jack and sometimes the memory usage goes down a lot, but
not necessarily down to clean boot levels.

   The kernel I'm using is from the Planet.

   6 of the jackd processes say 36092 right now. One says 1040. I'm
suspicious when 6 processes with the same name have the same size. Seems
weird to me, but that could be by design. I don't know.

   I'm a user, not a programmer, so keep instructions really simple. I'll
try out anything people want me to. I think it's likely to be something else
anyway.

   And please, please, please! Do not take any of this seriously!! Please!!

Mark