[PlanetCCRMA] apt update Ok, but...

Sun Nov 10 16:07:01 2002

> I've successfully updated apt, but now it says it wants to update
> glibc-2.2.5-40 with the same package, but ending with .i686.rpm and this
> conflicts with the previous install.
> Everything else seems OK, any idea what's wrong?

Hmmm, not really. The new apt-get is smarter in terms of detecting the
potentially best architecture it can install for each package. It seems
it is too smart :-)

There is nothing really wrong, except that apparently apt does not know
how to "upgrade" to a different architecture. It would seem to me you
could manually fix the problem by uninstalling the 386 arch rpm and
installing the 686, BUT I would not do that with glibc, if something
goes wrong your machine could end up without a glibc, which is not
really good :-)

What version of RedHat are you running? And what kind of processor does
the machine have? I tested the upgrade on all three versions and it
worked fine.

-- Fernando