[PlanetCCRMA] apt-get update confusion?

Sat Nov 9 09:59:01 2002

>    Before I create too many problems, I did an apt-get update, apt-get
> dist-upgrade this morning. (Sunday) That went fine. One of the packages
> updated was apt itself, and I got messages about apt.conf.rpmnew and
> source.list.rpmnew being created. I'm running RH7.3. I remember that you had
> sent some messages about new versions of apt, so I went ahead and did that
> update, part of which had a message about new files in /etc/apt.
>
>    I went to /etc/apt and replaced the existing files with the ones that the
> download had put there, then did apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade. Now
> I'm getting a message that it wants to update what appears to be EVERYTHING
> on my system and it's telling me I'm about to do something 'potentially
> harmful'.
>
>    I'm wondering if this round of updates somehow got confused about RH
> revisions? Maybe this is RH8 stuff?

It looks like the web links are fine. From what you tell me you have the
wrong /etc/apt/sources.list installed and you are probably going to end
up upgrading to 8.0 :-)

Make sure that what you have is:

# Package repository URLs
#
# Planet CCRMA for RedHat 7.3 and single processor machines

rpm http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/apt redhat/7.3/en/i386 os
rpm http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/apt redhat/7.3/en/i386
updates
rpm http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/apt redhat/7.x/en/i386
planetccrma
rpm http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/apt redhat/7.x.up/en/i386
planetccrma
rpm http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/apt redhat/7.3/en/i386
planetccrma

No references to "8.0" should appear on this file.
Do an apt-get update and all will be (I hope) fine.

-- Fernando