[PlanetCCRMA] apt-get update confusion?

Mark Knecht markknecht@attbi.com
Sat Nov 9 07:03:02 2002

Fernando,
   Before I create too many problems, I did an apt-get update, apt-get
dist-upgrade this morning. (Sunday) That went fine. One of the packages
updated was apt itself, and I got messages about apt.conf.rpmnew and
source.list.rpmnew being created. I'm running RH7.3. I remember that you had
sent some messages about new versions of apt, so I went ahead and did that
update, part of which had a message about new files in /etc/apt.

   I went to /etc/apt and replaced the existing files with the ones that the
download had put there, then did apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade. Now
I'm getting a message that it wants to update what appears to be EVERYTHING
on my system and it's telling me I'm about to do something 'potentially
harmful'.

   I'm wondering if this round of updates somehow got confused about RH
revisions? Maybe this is RH8 stuff?

   Please let me know if I should update all this stuff, or possibly these
apt.conf files were not the right thing for my system.

Thanks,
Mark