[PlanetCCRMA] jackstart hanging the system

Joseph Zitt jzitt@metatronpress.com
Mon Dec 30 22:23:01 2002

On 30 Dec 2002 11:15:31 -0800
Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

> > Looking at online docs, I see that I should run jackstart as a user,
> > not as root. But doing so makes no difference.
>
> Meaning you get the error about locking all memory, or you do not get
> that error and still get xruns?

I do get the error.

> > > Also: should jackstart eventually return me to a prompt and run in
> > > the background, or continue to hold onto the xterm session. Either
> > > would be OK; I'm just unclear as to which behavior to expect.
>
> Jack runs in the terminal, it will not return the prompt.

Ah, OK. I hadn't understood that from any of the documentation. I had
thought that it was like spawning a daemon or starting ALSA, kicking off
something in the background then returning the prompt. I had taken the
prompt's not returning as a sign of a further problem. Could this be
made clearer in the docs?

> About the "cannot allocate memory" I'd swear I saw something on the
> lists about this before but I have been unable to find it.

As Mark had wondered, is there a minimum amount of memory? My laptop has
rather little (64 MB, I think). Hmm, is there a command that I could run
that would neatly summarize what CPU I have, how much memory, etc? It
would be handy for these situations.

> Just in case, try running it verbose, maybe we'll get an additional
> message (jackstart should not be run as root, no need to do that):
>
>   jackstart -v -R -d alsa -d hw -p 864

Here's what I get:

[jzitt@gimel jzitt]$ jackstart -v -R -d alsa -d hw -p 864
jackd 0.41.1
Copyright 2001-2002 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

3538 waiting for signals
capabilities: =i
cap_setpcap,cap_ipc_lock,cap_sys_nice,cap_sys_resource+ep
creating alsa driver ... hw|864|2|48000|swmon
new client: alsa_pcm, id = 1 type 1 @ 0x8064f28 fd = 12
port alsa_pcm:capture_1 buf shm key 0x50040fe4 at offset 3456 bi =
0x805cb18
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_1, offset = 3456
port alsa_pcm:capture_2 buf shm key 0x50040fe4 at offset 6912 bi =
0x805cb38
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_2, offset = 6912
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_1, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_2, offset = 0
gave capabilities to process 3540
++ jack_rechain_graph():
client alsa_pcm: inprocess client, execution_order=0.
-- jack_rechain_graph()
starting engine
cannot lock down memory for RT thread (Cannot allocate memory)
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.084 msecs
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.075 msecs
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.067 msecs
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.083 msecs
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.065 msecs
load = 0.2289 max usecs: 82.408, spare = 17917.592
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.071 msecs
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.074 msecs

--
| jzitt@josephzitt.com                      http://www.josephzitt.com/ |