[PlanetCCRMA] alsaplayer failure

Mark Knecht markknecht@attbi.com
Sat Dec 28 05:26:01 2002

On Sat, 2002-12-28 at 01:40, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 06:33:22 -0800, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > Have you tried other alsa applications that play sound through alsa
> > other than jack and alsaplayer?
>
> aplay juat hangs silently, even with -v, but jack works fine.
>
> - Steve

Using aplay I am able to play wave files without jack running:

aplay Desktop/Gas_Leak_01.wav

so aplay does not trigger the pcm.c assertion failure for me, and
actually does produce sound.

Like Steve, most of the time aplay seems to sit silent for me. I tried
playing an mp3, and don't know that this is the right way to play it,
but get an error message:

[mark@Godzilla mark]$ aplay -t MPEG Desktop/Chillin.mp3
aplay: main:371: unrecognized file format MPEG
[mark@Godzilla mark]$

Mark