[PlanetCCRMA] jackstart hanging the system

Thu Dec 26 17:14:01 2002

> > > I just have installed the Planet CCRMA packages and i have a problem
> > > with Jack. When i try to run 'jackstart -R -d alsa -d hw -r 44100'
> > > my CPU and Memory usage goes to 100%. If I don't stop it, the
> > > process hangs everything. Even a 'jackstart -h' do the same!
> >
> > Strange, I have not seen this happen before...
>
> I'm now getting the something similar. After a reboot, ALSA appears to
> be starting OK:
>
> [root@gimel jzitt]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start
> Starting sound driver snd-usb-audio                        [  OK  ]
> Starting sound driver snd-usb-audio                        [  OK  ]
> Starting sequencer driver snd-seq-midi                     [  OK  ]
> Restoring sound driver settings                            [  OK  ]
> [root@gimel jzitt]#
>
> But jack hangs:
>
> [root@gimel jzitt]# jackstart -R -d alsa -d hw -r 44100
> jackd 0.41.1
> Copyright 2001-2002 Paul Davis and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
> creating alsa driver ... hw|1024|2|44100|swmon
> starting engine
> cannot lock down memory for RT thread (Cannot allocate memory)
> **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.074 msecs

I guess it is alsa that is not working correctly with the usb audio
interface. If you are still getting this:

> [root@gimel hotplug]# cat /proc/asound/devices
>   0: [0- 0]: ctl
>   8: [0- 0]: raw midi
>   1:       : sequencer
>  33:       : timer

...then alsa is not really working with both cards. The [0- 0] card is
the only one there and it is probably the Oxygen8 keyboard.

What do you see in /proc/asound (do an "ls -l /proc/asound").
Did you try hooking up only the usb audio card? (without the Oxygen8).

-- Fernando