[PlanetCCRMA] alsaplayer failure

Mon Dec 23 12:55:02 2002

>    The current version of alsplayer seems to be failing when I try and
> start it without jack. It works fine with jack.
>
>    Is anyone else seeing this?
>
>    I've also noticed that pd doesn't work on it's own, but does work
> with jack.
>
> [mark@Godzilla mark]$ alsaplayer
> alsaplayer: pcm.c:6293: snd_pcm_unlink_ptr: Assertion `0' failed.
> AlsaPlayer interrupted by signal 6
> [mark@Godzilla mark]$

This is what I get here:

> alsaplayer -d plughw:0 -F 44100 -f 512 -g 3 -r
error on set_periods (13)
Unavailable hw params:
ACCESS:  RW_INTERLEAVED
FORMAT:  S16_LE
SUBFORMAT:  STD
SAMPLE_BITS: 16
FRAME_BITS: 32
CHANNELS: 2
RATE: 44100
PERIOD_TIME: (11609 11610)
PERIOD_SIZE: 512
PERIOD_BYTES: 2048
PERIODS: [1 13)
BUFFER_TIME: (11609 148595)
BUFFER_SIZE: [512 6553]
BUFFER_BYTES: [2048 26212]
TICK_TIME: 10000
***NOTE***: please consider scheduling real-time!
xrun of at least 4.961 msecs. resetting stream
xrun of at least 20.493 msecs. resetting stream
xrun of at least 0.481 msecs. resetting stream
xrun of at least 2.920 msecs. resetting stream

I have to set the alsa parameters by hand otherwise the defaults that
alsaplayer selects fail [and even then alsaplayer is trying first with
some weird value for periods!]. Obviously I get xruns because it is not
suid root and does not run with realtime priority. I have to use plughw
because alsaplayer does not know how to deal correctly (apparently) with
multichannel cards, I'm running this on a Midiman Delta 66 (ice1712
chipset).

-- Fernando