[PlanetCCRMA] updated: alsa drivers.... finally!

Tue Dec 17 11:55:03 2002

> Should we request on alsa-dev that they add it so this doesn't continue to
> happen?

Yes, we should do that. I'll email the list.

> Also, I don't know if you've seen it, but there was a preliminary patch
> presented this morning for managing real sound cards vs. USB hot plug
> devices. Takashi (sp? from memory) was asking for comments.

The patch is only useful to avoid having to bump up the number of
allowed cards in modules.conf, it does not solve the ordering problem.

The first change to try is to add the snd-usb-audio module as a second
card to your modules.conf file (as suggested by Paul):

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 0.9.0 ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-hdsp
alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd major=116 cards_limit=2 device_mode=0666
options snd-hdsp index=0
options snd-usb-audio index=1
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit.

I don't think you need additional sound-service aliases as this is just
a midi card.

This will make sure that when the snd-usb-audio module is loaded by
hotplug it will be associated with the second slot in the system (ie: it
will be the second card even though there is no first card loaded at
that point).

Still remains the problem of loading the snd-hdsp module. By the time
the alsasound script executes /proc/asound will exist and the rest of
the modules (ie: the snd-hdsp module) will not be loaded by the script.

That should not be _really_ a problem (I think) as the first program you
use that references the first card will autoload the snd-hdsp module. I
think this will work even though it is not the best solution (as I said
ins alsa-dev the alsasound script should be changed to be able to deal
with partially loaded module stacks).

-- Fernando