[PlanetCCRMA] Kernel Source rpms.

Sat Dec 7 19:22:01 2002

> 1) On the page about recompiling the kernel
>
> http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/recompilekernel.html
>
> there are some instructions for patching /etc/apt/sources.list. I did
> that, but when I try and run the apt-get command on that page it tells
> me it can't find the source.

I'll have to check this... it should work... Downloading the rpm was the
right choice.

> 2) Just above that I finally realized there was a link to the RPM file,
> so I downloaded it, but it seems to be a kernel for ALL versions of RH.
> (7.2/7.3/8.0) Is this correct? It's the same source RPM for all three?

Same for all versions. I try to keep my sanity by minimizing the number
of things I have to mantain :-)

> 3) In your email to Pato you have a series of steps:
>
> - copy the i686 configuration file you want to change:
>   cp configs/kernel-2.4.19-i686.config .config
> - do a "make xconfig", unselect the "preemptible kernel" option, I
> think   it is in the processor section.
> - save the configuration and quite the configurator
>
> To get this to work, I had to do a 'cd' up from the configs directory.
> Also, did you intend the copied file to be '.config' for some specific
> reason? I would have though MY_COPY.config, but I know nothing of build
> RPMs and building kernels.

This is part of the "building the kernel" process, ".config" is the
default name that the configure process will look for, maybe there is a
way to change the name but I don't know of any.

> 4) When you tell me to save quit the configurator, what name do I chose
> for the save? Just anything I want? I presume that these changes are
> going somewhere in the main directory, make in Makefile or something?

The changes are saved to the ".config" file. You cannot select a name (I
think).

After that and if you want to recreate the binary rpms you have to copy
the .config file to the appropriately named configuration file in the
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES directory (not back to the configs directory
because that will be erased and repopulated with what is in the SOURCES
directory when you start rebuilding the kernel). Also, you should
probably select the i686 configuration file, you could select athlon but
I have never tried it, I just distribute a i686 kernel only (to avoid
building more kernels than necessary :-)

-- Fernando