[PlanetCCRMA] updated: muse to 0.6.0pre5

Thu Dec 5 20:32:01 2002

> > Fr> Alsa itself compiles fine. I'll try to explain. A file in /boot gets
> > generated at boot time that describes the type of kernel that is running
> > (/boot/kernel.h). That file is referenced from somewhere in the kernel
> > include files (I forget the exact location). If that file does not
> > correspond to the currently running kernel (for example the architecture
> > is wrong) then the wrong versioned symbols are referenced by the alsa
> > compile process and the resulting binary rpms do not work with the
> > kernel (because the versioning of the symbols is wrong).
> >
> > /sbin/mkkerneldoth (part of the initscripts rpm, runs as part of
> > /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit) assumes a certain format for the kernel name
> > (either kernel or kernel-smp or kernel-enterprise). My uniprocessor
> > kernel is named kernel-up (long story of why). Because of that, at boot
> > time the architecture of the kernel in /etc/kernel.h is always I686 even
> > if I boot a I386 kernel. So the generated alsa kernel modules do not
> > load... Of course if you boot into a i686 kernel then everything is fine
> > :-
> Isn't the proper way to avoid this a matter of doing the naming by
> specifying the "Extra Version" field in the kernel Makefile before
> compiling?

You are right. One more thing I have to fix in the next kernel release
:-)

Currently I'm just packaging the uniprocessor kernel twice, generating
the normal RedHat "kernel" package and an additional (and identical)
"kernel-up" package. Obviously that is wrong. I should rebuild the
kernel _again_ with the proper extraversion (which means longer
compiles), or do away with the normal RedHat name for the kernel.

-- Fernando