[PlanetCCRMA] Kernel Panic

Tue Dec 3 20:58:01 2002

> I think I will not go this way right now. Logically, the Redhat kernel
> is able to do this right, on this chipset and others. It's only this
> kernel having trouble, so there must be some difference that we don't
> know about yet. I'll search for that rather than go too much further
> with this non-standard way of dealing with the disks.

Sure, sounds reasonable.

> > That is probably correct. Regretfully it appears that I have configured
> > the kernel "correctly" in the sense that I am not altering the order and
> > on-board controllers should be assigned the first (ie: hda/b/c/d) set of
> > drive letters. Actually I am using the original redhat configuration as
> > the base configuration for my kernels.
>
> Assuming that the configuration RH supplied with the distribution really
> does represent how the kernel was configured.

I have to check but I think it would be (it is part of the source rpm).
I could, of course, configure the kernel with that option "ON" instead
of "OFF" and that gives you the chance to reverse the behavior with a
kernel option at boot time but it is also a hack.

I would assume it is a kernel bug that is triggered with your particular
combination of controllers. What does lspci say about the ide
controllers?

-- Fernando