[neuromusiclab] Daniela Sammler guest talk zoom (Feb 14 Wed: 1:30pm-) on joint music dual-EEG

Takako Fujioka takako at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Sat Feb 10 23:07:32 PST 2024

Hi all,

please join us for the guest lecture by Daniela Sammler on Wednesday.
I asked her 45-60min talk also to stick around for Q and A.

Marise, can you share the zoom link?
(and please record the talk....I can only join at 2:20pm)

The talk title and abstract below.
=====

How the brain plays music: From musical ideas to joint performance

Daniela Sammler

Max Planck Institute for Empirical Aesthetics

Frankfurt am Main, Germany

Everywhere in the world people enjoy listening to and making music
together. Over the past 30 years, research on the neurocognition of
music has gained a lot of insights into how the brain perceives music.
Yet, our knowledge about the neural mechanisms of music production
remains sparse. How does a musical idea turn into action? And how do
musicians coordinate sounds and actions when they perform in groups? The
present line of research isolated distinct genre-dependent levels of
action planning in solo pianists and identified dynamically balanced
mechanisms of interaction in duetting pianists using 3T fMRI and (dual)
EEG. The data converge on three main findings: (A) distinct neural
networks for abstract harmonic and concrete motor planning converge in
left lateral prefrontal cortex that acts as a hub for solo music
production, (B) internal models of other-produced musical actions in
cortico-cerebellar audio-motor networks coordinate self and other during
joint music performance, and (C) interbrain synchrony during joint music
making is not merely an epiphenomenon of shared sensorimotor information
but is modulated by the alignment of cognitive processes. Altogether, it
will become clear that solo and joint music performance relies on
general principles of human cognition, tuned to achieve the musical
perfection required on stage.

---
Takako Fujioka
Associate Professor,
Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics
Department of Music, Stanford University
phone & voice mail: 650-723-4971 x 308