[LAC-19] A few things

Romain Michon rmichon at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Fri Oct 12 00:42:19 PDT 2018

Hi everyone,

I think we're in good shape for now: the website is on, the CfP has been
sent, and the submission portal is up and running. Yet, we still have to
figure a few things out...

*Keynote*

First, as you know, we contacted Leslie Garcia to ask her to be the
keynote speaker for LAC about three weeks ago. Since we didn't get any
reply from her, we sent her another e-mail earlier this week using the same
address and a different one, just to be sure. We still haven't heard back
from her! This means that we need a backup plan... As a reminder, here's
the original shortlist that we had:

- Leslie Garcia (http://lessnullvoid.cc/content/) -- Chris believes that
the Stanford Arts Institute could help us bring her on campus
- Nancy Mauro-Flude (http://sister0.org/?whosthatgirl) -- Perhaps the
Stanford Arts Institute could help us bring her as well (she lives in
Singapore)
- Pamela Z (http://www.pamelaz.com/cv.html) -- Local artist
- Laetitia Sonami (http://sonami.net/bio/) -- Local artist
- Marije Baalman (https://marijebaalman.eu/)
- Natasha Barett (https://www.natashabarrett.org/)

Should we try to contact Nancy Mauro-Flude? Her flight will be more
expensive since she lives in Singapore. This also means that we'd have to
ask the Stanford Art Institute again if they would be willing to give us
some funding for her to come, etc. Any thoughts on that? Any other
suggestions?

*Video streaming*

We still haven't decided what we're going to do for video streaming.
Carlos, did you have time to look into this? I know this doesn't sound
urgent for now, the only issue is that this might have a big impact on the
overall budget of the conference so the earlier we deal with this, the
better.

*Budget*

Assuming that we'll find an in-house solution for video streaming (which I
strongly believe we can do :) ) and that the keynote speaker will be funded
by SAT and CCRMA, we still have to find some money for what will be left to
pay. Looking at our original proposal, here are the expenses that are not
covered yet:

Catering (coffee and tea): $1200
Catering (extras: snacks, food, etc.): $500
Proceedings (50): $600
Printing & Goodies (com, packages, etc.): $300
Badges: $180
Other Expenses: $500
TOTAL: $3280

We can assume that we'll sell some proceedings (or we could go paper free,
which I would strongly advocate) so if we take that item off there's $2600
left which I think is really not too bad. Yet, we have to find a way to pay
for that, any idea?

Thanks and looking forward to see you this winter!

Cheers,

Romain