[Grads] Limited resumption of on-site CCRMA research

Matt Wright matt at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Wed Sep 9 18:10:51 PDT 2020

Greetings CCRMA grad students!

I’m very happy to announce that after essentially a summer’s negotiations with the Dean’s Office, CCRMA was just today approved to allow a limited number of our most urgent graduate student researchers to do certain research tasks in the building as long as staff are present.  I want to be clear that the staffing requirement was imposed on us, was not negotiable, and creates logistical challenges that we are actively working on.

The current criteria for research in The Knoll are:

- “requiring unique facilities”, i.e., work that cannot be done from home

- “urgent”, i.e., work whose delay would have negative consequences, e.g., paper/grant/thesis/degree-timeline deadlines.

Here is the link to our “Standard Operating Procedures” document, both a HOWTO for safe usage of the building (should your specific project(s) be approved) and also the specific proposal that the Dean’s Office approved:

	https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mCZYJ3CSy-lePr4aV3S-sZUD_XHt_ehahi0BU4cd1lg/edit?usp=sharing

You may need to log into Google with your @stanford.edu credentials to see this.  The link allows you to add comments and suggestions that will be seriously considered for future discussions.

Part of the agreement is that "CCRMA Management transparently prioritizes projects by urgency and need for access to unique facilities.”  Therefore we are rebooting the “urgent research needs” survey we first sent out in March, this time just for CCRMA.  Please submit this for each urgent project that requires you to be in The Knoll:

	https://forms.gle/u7Rj9ATbr6cU5b7a7

We will immediately use the survey results to identify the most urgent projects, then follow up with specifics on coordinating and requesting specific reservation timeslots.

Best regards,
-Matt

--
CCRMA Technical Director