[CM] Question for the academics about grants for docs

Iain Duncan iainduncanlists at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 13:46:03 PST 2021

Hello colleagues, as some of you know, I'm a masters student at UVic with
Andy Schloss, and Scheme For Max is the main project for my masters. I've
been very happy with how it's turned out so far and am excited to continue
developing it, and also to get it in the hands of other users.

One of the barriers, I think, is that Scheme is not a simple language to
learn for new coders (as in people coming to it from Max rather than lisp).
Not because the language is hard, but because the learning resources are
fragmented across many slightly divergent implementations. I'm thinking of
writing a free e-book aimed at teaching the brand new coder S7 Scheme, with
Scheme for Max, Scheme for PD, and Common Music as the target platform.
Something somewhat similar to Rick's wonderful book, but a more general
language oriented and with more hand-holding for someone who is totally new
to coding.

So the question... does anyone here who is dialed into academic circles
know if this is the kind of thing for which one might be able to get a
grant? And if so, which ones might apply and how to do so? I can certainly
do it off the side of my desk, but if I can get a grant, it would be easier
to allocate time to it. I write technical documentation as part of my job,
so I know I can do a good job of it, but don't know much else about that
world.

Thanks
Iain