[CM] Nice resource for folks wanting to learn S7

Dudley Brooks dbrooks at runforyourlife.org
Sun Feb 14 18:09:46 PST 2021

On 2/14/21 9:47 AM, Iain Duncan wrote:

> Hi Bill and others, I just thought I'd share a neat finding. I'm
> preparing some resources for new programmers to learn Scheme for Max,
> and Matt Wright from CCRMA pointed me the book he did with Brian
> Harvey, "Simply Scheme".

I took the introductory CS class for CS majors at UC Berkeley in 1989
from Brian Harvey.  At that time the class used Scheme, and Abelson and
Sussman's excellent book "Structure and Interpretation of Computer
Programs".  (The class is now taught in Python, last I heard.)  At that
time the class was very unusual -- I think something like it was found
only at Cal, Stanford, MIT, and Illinois.  I heard that it was so
unusual that if you transferred into Cal's CS department you had to take
it ... even if you were in grad school.  On the first day Brian Harvey
said "This is probably the most interesting CS class you will ever take"
... and it was definitely extremely interesting.

And Brian Harvey was one of the two best teachers I ever had in my
entire academic career.  A model teacher!  So I'll bet that his book is
excellent.