[CM] Reducing S7 'real' precision

Woody Douglass wdouglass at carnegierobotics.com
Wed Dec 22 13:07:22 PST 2021

Bill et all --

I've been using S7 for doing CV and graphics work; this work often
involves giant lookup tables (5 terms per pixel, 9600x4800 resolution,
each table ends up being ~1.8 Gigabytes)
I can cut that in half by using floats instead of doubles (Precision
isn't a really important factor here)

these lookup tables are currently implemented as s7 float-vectors

I'm finding myself tempted to patch s7.h with this:
typedef float s7_double;

but it *feels* like i'm going to get myself into trouble. Has anyone
tried reducing s7's floating-point precision, or am i falling into a
dangerous rabbit-hole here? should i just reimplement my tables as C-
objects and move on?

Thanks,
Woody Douglass