[CM] Worthwhile to explore realtime-friendly GC strategies for s7?

Iain Duncan iainduncanlists at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 12:28:38 PDT 2021

Thanks everyone, that all gives me some stuff to look into and think about!

Christos, some videos will be forthcoming soon! Currently doing a lot of
benchmarking and load testing, and want to make sure I have a pretty good
idea of performance possibilities and limits before telling the world about
them. But the short answer is that I'm able to get really quite good
performance with very tight timing running a full 16 track sequencer from
Max with all sequencing code in the high priority max thread and sound
synthesis handled in Ableton live. And there are a lot of different
tradeoffs possible depending on whether one can live with a few ms of
timing slop or not. I can get single sample accuracy if needed by running
Max at an io vector of 246 or 512 samples, or is slop is acceptable
instead, get dead low latency by running Max audio free and just piping to
Live. At an rate, the load tests of the last two days have demonstrated
that a commercial production rig with all sequencing done in Scheme is
eminently doable, even on my 2015 macbook pro. :-)

iain