[CM] S7 macros

Iain Duncan iainduncanlists at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 21:21:58 PST 2020

Hi Bill, I'm curious, for the sake of being able to write on this
intelligently, what was the reason for S7 not to include define-syntax? I
want to clarify, I'm not saying that I think it should, I'm just
interested. If you have time to comment, what were/are the reasons for you
to decide on define-macro instead, and also what led to deciding not to
implement syntax-rules?

I personally like unhygienic macros for the use cases I'm looking at, but I
think that if I am writing docs for people to script with S7, I should
address this for people perhaps coming from Racket or similar. So any
background on it would be helpful.

thanks
iain