[CM] Got Common Music 2 largely working inside PWGL -- thanks, Anders Vinjar!

Torsten Anders Torsten.Anders at beds.ac.uk
Thu Mar 31 18:54:45 PDT 2016

Dear all,

Anders, thanks a lot for all your efforts simplifying the load file of Common Music 2 (website for version 3: http://commonmusic.sourceforge.net/). After some minor further modifications I got CM working within the same Lisp image as PWGL. For example, I got the piano phase example running.

What is most interesting from a PWGL perspective, however, is that all CM patters are available (though only for direct Lisp code hacking, no boxes, at least yet). It could be interesting to use these in other PWGL patches to generate musical data for whatever purpose.

There are some minor hiccups. I did not play long with this setup, but ran into the following limitations. The Scheme macro define is not recognised, it has to be replaced with defun or setf. Also, relative paths for MIDI files do not work (they are somehow clashing with some PWGL path), but absolute paths work fine.

If anyone else is interested, you can get Common Music 2 from SourceForge.

    $ svn co svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/commonmusic/code/branches/cm2

Replace the file cm2.asd in the top-level cm2 directory with the attached cm2.asd (Anders, I had to simplify a bit further). Then move that whole cm2 directory into your PWGL user library (e.g., into ~/PWGL-User/User-library/cm2). You are then ready to load this library and start using Common Music within PWGL.

Attached is also a simple PWGL patch demonstrating simple CM functionality. You first need to load the Common Music library, before you can open this patch.

Best wishes,
Torsten

--
Dr Torsten Anders