[CM] Snd: imprecision when playing selections

Daniel Lopez daniel.lopez999 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 13:09:41 PDT 2016

On 28/03/16 22:28, bil at ccrma.Stanford.EDU wrote:
>> "How to paint a bird song"
>
> hey, no fair!  Now you know how to bump something
> to the top of my TODO list.

Hee hee :) - I have an interest in synthesizing bird song since making a
wacky musical 'instrument' (one small part of this:
http://caveofsounds.com/) that makes bird sounds by throwing together
some AM and FM, techniques I got at the time from Andy Farnell's website
(https://web.archive.org/web/20150303020554/http://www.obiwannabe.co.uk/tutorials/html/tutorial_birds.html).
Just now I was having another look through his book "Designing Sound"
and he mentions Snd in it (and uses it for diagrams).

I was shocked to find that this program has flown under my radar for so
long - it's more or less the audio editor I've always wanted (as a long
time Emacs user and lover of programmable tools). And that it comes with
a goldmine of synthesis code and information - including those
wonderfully realistic bird sounds - there's a lot for me to explore here.

Daniel