[CM] Snd with alsa and jack, flac conversion, motif/gtk

Bill Schottstaedt bil at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Mon Jun 8 13:24:09 PDT 2015

Here's a plausible flac file opener:

(load "examp.scm")
(define mus-flac 64)
(hook-push open-hook
           (lambda (hook)
	     (let ((filename (hook 'name)))
	       (if (= (mus-sound-header-type filename) mus-flac)
		   (read-flac filename)))))

Load that into Snd before calling open-sound.

> Is there a way to have snd use both audio backends, ie. falling back to
> alsa if no jackd is running?

I don't know.

> Is there a way to have snd read the audio data into memory without
> writing an .snd file every time?

You can open a new sound, then write its data directly, updating the
graphs each time you get new data.  But in the FLAC case, unless you
write code to read directly the output of flac, you'll need a file.

> What would be my preference wrt. using motif or gtk on Debian?

Wow.  The Debian version I have has gtk 3 which makes Snd look like crap.
gtk3 changes so often and so radically that I've stopped trying to
keep up. I doubt their Motif package is any more usable than their
Snd package.  Someday I'll move to Juce...

On an optimistic note, gtk has finally added openGL support, but I can't
immediately see a way to use it in Snd without keeping two parallel
drawing widgets going all the time for each channel.