[CM] Scheduler and environment

Heinrich Taube taube at illinois.edu
Mon May 27 08:48:32 PDT 2013

> Now, the main problem was that sometimes the midi receiver would increase the step variable from 1 but the messages wouldn't be sent to Max/MSP - or wouldn't arrive : I'm also asking Max's experts about their end of my problem. One thing was pretty clear, it sent either every messages or none.\

if your step variable is always incrementing correctly then it would seem the problem would be not with midi per se but rather in (or under) the sendocs call. but just to make sure you might try turning on midi tracing using the menu item Audio>Midi In> Trace Input  to make sure the midi code is always happening

so at this point its still hard for me to really understand exactly what the issue is here…the  "(if (string? ((n 0) 0))"   looks very  odd to me -- is each "n" really a function that is called with a zero and returns another function that is called with another 0 to return a possible string?
or maybe this is just an email typo???…

midi and osc triggers are handled pretty much the same way: a callback node is registered with the scheduler and evaluated with the arriving data. when the scheduler pops that node and evals it the scheduler has to wait for the scheme code its calling to return before it can do anything else, but i don't *think* that would stop other processes from added more trigger nodes to the queue.
sigh. i wish you could add a few c++ trace calls to the 3.8.0 Grace  code base and rebuild to trace/debug things but unfortunately i have no tar ball of S7 Scheme 1.105 (6-Feb-12) and i can't find one. so i can't really build that super-stable Grace from sources to debug. and you can't build the cm in the repo because  I never got that running without some scheme code crashing that i didn't have the time the past months to really work on!  i guess the shortest path might be for me to try get this going again, but i don't thing there is going to be a quick easy answer for you, I'm sorry!