[CM] slime cm-2.10 and ASDF

Ralf Mattes rm at seid-online.de
Tue Aug 6 13:47:32 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 06, 2013 at 03:12:54PM -0500, Heinrich Taube wrote:

> On Aug 6, 2013, at 2:07 PM, <anders.vinjar at bek.no> wrote:
>

> >    t> However, after loading I noticed that PWGL became unusably
> >    t> slow.
>
> i was never able to do much with lisp works,  i think the lisp heap was limited in their free version or something like that. you might try compiling in one pass then loading in another, but i think i tried that and it didn't work or help much. does pwgl only run in lisp works?? oy..

 ... veh! Indeed - one of the reasons I wouldn't touch that system - to dependend on a single implementation[1].

> > PWGL (e.g., its score editors and break-point functions etc.) alongside CM2, which would be great.
>
> fwiw  sean furguson wrote a very nice break-point function package in common lisp years ago:
>
> http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~ferguson/Ferguson%20Contribs/Apprentice-Envelopes%20Folder/Apprentice-Envelopes.lisp
>
> he also has another nice package that does acoustic dissonance measurement based on Parncutt.
>
> http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~ferguson/Ferguson%20Contribs/Apprentice-Dissonance.lisp

Hey, some late evening goodies+

 Cheers, RalfD

[1] N.B: I really value LispWorks - the LW-People I met in Cambridge and on varios Lisp
Conferences where nice and experts in their field. But we all have seen Lisp Companies
disapear (Genera, Harlequin, Macintosh Common Lisp ...). I'd hate to one day wake up to
find out that all my work can't be used any more because <Lisp Company>/Apple did something
with my runtime environment. That's why I'm so eager to keep old systems running (I do have
a collection of old hardware and emulators to run old stuff, but that's not something that
will last longer than say 10²0 years. The music I do in my other life is more than 500
years old can still be performed ;-)