[CM] slime cm-2.10 and ASDF

Ralf Mattes rm at seid-online.de
Tue Aug 6 13:37:56 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 06, 2013 at 06:17:02PM +0100, Torsten Anders wrote:
> Dear Ralf,
>
> Thanks for sharing your cm.asd file.
>
> I could load this file into Lisp Works, more specifically as a library into the free PWGL application (http://www2.siba.fi/pwgl/downloads.html). So, in principle this would allow to use PWGL (e.g., its score editors and break-point functions etc.) alongside CM2, which would be great.

Hmm, I can't really help you with PWGL - while it looks like a cool
system I refuse to work with closed source systems with unclear
licence. As Anders allready pointed out - unless you own a licenced
(i.e. no-personal) Edition of LispWorks you operate with a rather
limited system. I couldn't get CM2 working with my personal editon
(stack overflow).

> However, after loading I noticed that PWGL became unusably slow. Usually, whenever PWGL loads a library all sources are automatically compiled (resulting in *. clufasl files). For some reason, this is not the case after loading your cm.asd file. So, I had a look at that file and noticed that it contains much much more than the *.asd files I saw before (which usually consist of a single asdf:defsystem call. So, it is a bit difficult to figure out why the sources are not compiled.

That's the whole point of my complaint about this asdf file (sometimes
I think there's some AI hidden in there ...). Time for a major rework -
this file will not work with asdf3.

> However, I noticed that in the asdf:defsystem call, most files are called with :scheme set to T. Why is that? After all, there are *.lisp versions of these files as well?

Well, no. CM is in fact written in Scheme. The Lisp version is
created by transforming the Scheme code to Lisp. That's one of
the magic tricks the asdf file does. Does your PWGL-Lisp produce
fasl-files?

> For completeness, here are two further minor changes I had to make before I could load CM as a PWGL library.
>   - Renaming the file cm.asd into cm2.asd (the name of the system defined with asdf:defsystem).

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! That's what I get from just copying. That file came straight from my quicklisp repro where
it's of course called cm2.asd.

>   - The next error then said "Cannot load this library because Scheme source <PathToCM2>/src/gluplot.scm not found". The  CM tar ball version 2.10.0 I just downloaded from http://sourceforge.net/projects/commonmusic/files/cm/ does not contain this file. Luckily I had this file still somewhere else, but perhaps the tar ball should be updated?

Ah - probably. Or you get used to work from the svn version.

 Cheers, RalfD