[CM] slime cm-2.10 and ASDF

Ralf Mattes rm at seid-online.de
Tue Aug 6 03:10:56 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 06, 2013 at 09:32:28AM +0200, anders.vinjar at bek.no wrote:

>     a> I have established that UNIX-FILE-KIND is not mentioned in the
>     a> sbcl manual. Indeed it seems to be a reoccurring problem for
>     a> sbcl.
>
>     a> If anyone can recommend the best fix or patch for this, then much
>     a> appreciated.
>
> #'sb-unix:unix-file-kind  changed to #'sb-impl::native-file-kind some
> years ago.
>
> Easiest thing is to get updated sources for cm2 from svn, some updates
> are done from time to time.

Yes, I changed this in my version of cm.asd as well (which I mailed to the OP).
But in general, I think the asdf definition needs some serious overhaul (since
it won't work with asdf3, which is allready the build-in asdf of some lisps).
To be done:

 * factor out the scheme->lisp compilation into a seperate asdf system. Such a
   system can then be used as a build-dependency of cm (pretty much what cffi-grovel
   et al. do).

 * I'd suggest removing the code that does image/application creation. Not only is
   it overly complex, it also relies on hardcoded build dependencies ("csh? are you
   kiddin' - that's so 1980ish :-) - i.e .recent asdf does provide a portable way to
   invoke shell commands. Iff there's still some need for cm-images/apps it would
   be better to create a separate lisp file that provides something like
     (cm:build-application :name "my-cm" (:use :cmn :fomus))
   But I think it's probably better/easier to leave image/app creation to the
   dedicated tools allready arround. With SBCL I just need to do:

  $ buildapp --output cm --load ~/quicklisp/setup.lisp \
             --load-system cm2 \
             --eval "(push #'cm sb-ext:*init-hooks*)"

  BTW, I don't suggest this out of purely software-design reasons - cm.asd tries to
  build the application/cm.sh in <cmdir>/bin. But this location might not be writeable
  in some installations (think: shared code linked into the local asdf repository/quicklisp
  local projects tree. Or, installation on a live system, where only the home directory is
  writeable ...).

 What do you think?

 Cheers, RalfD