[CM] vim2grace - vim (or other external editor) integration with Grace

cmdist at nospam.frostglow.com cmdist at nospam.frostglow.com
Tue Sep 18 07:21:45 PDT 2012

I've had a chance to test vim2grace a bit more thoroughly, and found
a serious problem.

It turns out that procedures that do background processing, like
(mp:receive) and (sprout), don't work when sent from vim to Grace
via the vim2grace fifo.

I'm not exactly sure why they don't work, but I suspect it's because as
soon as vim2grace uses (load) to read and execute the code it gets from vim,
it immediately starts reading from the fifo again, and that will block
until vim makes another write to the fifo (which may not happen for a
long time, or ever).  So, I think while Grace is blocked like that, it
won't run any background tasks that have been scheduled with
(mp:receive) or (sprout).

I'm don't know how to fix this problem, within the bounds of Grace and
s7.  I suspect I'll have to abandon the simple expedient of reading from
a fifo and use some other method of communicating from vim to Grace, but
I'm at a loss as to what method to use.  Suggestions are very welcome!

  --Sergey