[CM] slippery chicken release

David Lindes user-clm-cmdist at daveltd.com
Sun May 27 04:00:46 PDT 2012

Hi all (I'm relatively new here),

Hmm, something tells me that this conversation might benefit from an
injection of some borrowed ideas.  Is it wrong to point people to a video?
 :)  In case not, here's this:

https://vimeo.com/36579366 (Bret Victor - "Inventing on Principle", in case
you may already have seen it).

In short, my own personal take (which I think is more-or-less aligned with
Mr. Victor's, at least in ways, though probably not completely) on this
topic goes something like this:

(1) Describing things textually (in "words", or at least in (possibly
computer) language) has the benefit of making it possible to represent
abstract concepts in concise and concrete ways, that may create a lot of
complexity out of a simple (or at least simply expressed) idea.

(2) Having interactive graphical interfaces allows for exploration of *new*
ideas in a way that's difficult or impossible when you have to express a
complete thought in "words".

So, if you know what you want to say, you want text.  If you're trying to
figure out what's possible to say, you might need (or at least benefit
from) something more graphical and/or more interactive.

And of course, there's no reason that both interfaces need be developed by
the same person...  though having a collaborative development situation
could prove useful... though I've heard rumors that that's not so popular
in the lisp world?

Just some thoughts...

Best,

- David