[CM] Grace, microtonal resolution, strange behavior

Daniel Storbeck dstrbck at freenet.de
Sat Mar 3 08:29:51 PST 2012

Hi, I installed Grace 3.7.2 from source on Debian 6 64bit. The Juce midi
output is connected to a E-MU xmidi 1x1 Usb to Midi cable which is
connected to a Roland SoundCanvas SC-155. Everything seems to work ok.

Now I'm working through the Sal midi out tutorial.  When I evaluate:

send("mp:tuning", 2)
send( "mp:midi", key: 60)
  send( "mp:midi", key: 60.5)
  send( "mp:midi", key: 61)

the first and the last note are played as expected but the second is
played on another instrument / another channel.  When evaluating:

send( "mp:midi", key: 60.0)
send( "mp:midi", key: 60.1)
send( "mp:midi", key: 60.2)
send( "mp:midi", key: 60.3)
send( "mp:midi", key: 60.4)
send( "mp:midi", key: 60.5)
send( "mp:midi", key: 60.6)
send( "mp:midi", key: 60.7)
send( "mp:midi", key: 60.8)
send( "mp:midi", key: 60.9)

the notes corresponding to the key values 60.3 - 60.7 are played on the
wrong instrument. While playing these ten notes aseqdump reports:

daniel at hallo:~/cm$ aseqdump -p 128:0
Waiting for data. Press Ctrl+C to end.
Source  Event                  Ch  Data
gc freed 79776/128000, time: 0.006641
128:0   Note on                 0, note 60, velocity 63
128:0   Note off                0, note 60, velocity 0
128:0   Note on                 0, note 60, velocity 63
128:0   Note off                0, note 60, velocity 0
128:0   Note on                 0, note 60, velocity 63
128:0   Note off                0, note 60, velocity 0
128:0   Note on                 1, note 60, velocity 63
128:0   Note off                1, note 60, velocity 0
gc freed 79776/128000, time: 0.005465
128:0   Note on                 1, note 60, velocity 63
128:0   Note off                1, note 60, velocity 0
128:0   Note on                 1, note 60, velocity 63
128:0   Note off                1, note 60, velocity 0
128:0   Note on                 1, note 60, velocity 63
128:0   Note off                1, note 60, velocity 0
128:0   Note on                 1, note 60, velocity 63
128:0   Note off                1, note 60, velocity 0
gc freed 79776/128000, time: 0.006225
128:0   Note on                 0, note 61, velocity 63
128:0   Note off                0, note 61, velocity 0
128:0   Note on                 0, note 61, velocity 63
128:0   Note off                0, note 61, velocity 0

so you can see the channel switching. You also see the gc fiddling
around for some reason that might be related to the problem.

I guess this is a bug, not a feature, but is it Grace or some part of my
system?  Any ideas?

regards
Daniel
---

Btw: The statement in the tutorial to set the microtonal res. to 12 is
missing some parentheses:

send "mp:tuning", 12