[CM] [OT] Question about "Notes from the Metalevel"

David dfkettle at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 05:35:54 PDT 2012

Hi!

I just ordered a copy of the book, "Notes from the Metalevel", and I'm
trying to work through some of the examples. I'm using the latest
version of Common Music (Grace 3.8.0), and some of the examples don't
seem to work. I believe I installed it correctly (there's just one
executable file, 'Grace.exe', for Windows, so it's hard to make a
mistake). But I'm getting "unbound variable" errors for names like
"*scale*" and "pprint". I'm guessing that "pprint" isn't defined in
the version of Lisp that comes packaged with Grace, but what about
"*scale*"? Shouldn't that be part of Common Music?

So far, the examples work with the version of Common Music on the
book's disk (version 2.4.2), But in the book it says this is just a
"bare bones" version. Which version would be most compatible with the
examples in the book, and where could I find it?

Thanks for your help.