[CM] Fwd: CMN, coma :)

JEFFREY ZIMMER hieronymous.christian.uhrmacher at verizon.net
Sun Apr 1 15:30:58 PDT 2012

Regarding Rene's Comment -

I have been using CMN since late 2005.  I have just completed a 36-
page Passacaglia for two violins in CMN - over three years of effort -
which I intend to self-publish.  I have also typeset a couple of
hymns, and a suite for solo violin.

CMN does have a steep learning curve, like any serious computer
language, but it offers tremendous flexibility.  And I completely
agree that its basis in an "antique" language (CLISP) is an advantage
for composers who want to build
their life's work on a reliable and more-or-less permanent foundation
of software.

CMN's biggest single weakness, in my own experience, is that it tends
not to do a good job of justifying complicated contrapuntal music with
onsets spread across different lines on different staves, with ties,
short rests, etc.  A good example of this
kind of texture is the organ music of the North German school (D.
Buxtehude and friends).  The CMN code in cmn4.lisp acknowledges this
problem in its comments around "compactify":

"This procedure sometimes makes a mess of multi-staff music where the
overlaps are actually on different staves.  The result tends to make
runs ragged and uses more space than an engraver would."

My solution has been to do much editing with dx, dy, tie-direction,
etc, and/or to settle for fewer bars per line, which wastes space.  I
can get a nice looking result, but it takes lots of work.

 >> Have more recent versions of CMN addressed this issue?

If not, then I would like to take a crack at it, once I become more
competent with CLISP.  I'd like to try to write an algorithm that
produces the kind of justification seen in older engraved work, e.g
Breitkopf & Hartel, ca 1900.  I would
gladly make my code available to the CM community - if I actually
succeeded.

Jeff Zimmer

Begin forwarded message: