[CM] audio plugins in grace working

Heinrich Taube taube at illinois.edu
Sun Nov 27 04:18:54 PST 2011

apologies for the longish report, if you are interested in generating
real-time audio using AU, VST, ASIO plugins in Grace, read on!
--
You can now load 'plugin graphs' and send midi/audio streams to them
to generate real-time audio output. Plugin graphs are user defined

To load a plugin graph in Grace type COMMAND-P or use the Audio >
Plugin Graphs > Load Plugin Graph... menu item . You can then route
midi to it by just closing (unchecking) all  midi output ports: if no
midi output ports are open then Grace will automatically send whatever
midi you generate straight to any plugin graph. To route midi input to
a plugin graph, open the input port and select Audio > Midi In > Send
To Plugin. In addition, any audio input Grace receives will
automatically be routed to the audio inputs of your plugin graph.

You can also open any plugin's GUI editor iand tweek its parameters
while it is generating audio!  To open a gui editor select it from
Audio > Plugin Graphs> Plugin Editors menu.  This may take a few
second to open if its a huge plugin lilke Kontakt ...

I will add more features as time goes on, for example being able to
add connectins and send plugin parameter data from Scheme. (Im less
inclined to provide a gui graph editor because Plugin Host already
does this very well)

Obviously to use plugins you have to have plugin support working on
your machine... Getting it working ranges from easy to impossible. On
Mac its easy and ive saved a new alpha built with AU plugin support. I
also have a  version of Juce's Plugin Host app that you can use to
create AU plugin graphs:

Mac:

Grace with AU support:
	http://camil.music.uiuc.edu/software/grace/Grace-3.8.0-alpha4-osx.zip

Plugin Host with AU support:
	http://camil.music.uiuc.edu/software/grace/PluginHostAU-osx.zip

Plugin graph replacement for SimpleSynth:
	http://camil.music.uiuc.edu/software/grace/dls.filtergraph

All other types of plugins (VST/ASIO ) on Windows, Linux or Mac will
require you to enter into an agreement with Steinberg and build "Audio
Plugin Host" and Grace from sources .  I was able to build the  "Audio
Plugin Host"  with VST on windows. I tried for several days to build
it on linux but gave up. ( If you manage to build it and get it to
make a sound then please let me know)  Assuming you have VST plugins
working in the Plugin Host, then to build grace with VST support
enabled all you do is add the new --vst option to premake:
   premake  ...  --vst /path/to/VST_3  ...