[CM] snd, config

René Bastian rbastian at free.fr
Thu Dec 29 05:40:42 PST 2011

Le Thu, 29 Dec 2011 14:12:46 +0100,
rm at tuxteam.de a écrit :

> On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 12:45:56PM +0100, Ren? Bastian wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I installed 'snd' on a new computer, Debian 6.0,
> > but there is no sound output :
> >
> > $ snd fpoly1.wav
> > error message ----------------------------------
> > Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
> > Cannot connect to server socket
> > jack server is not running or cannot be started
>
> So jack is not running. IMHO it would be best to set up jackd on
> your box - you'll be rewarded with excellent audio performance.
>
> > can't play : open read /dev/dsp: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
> >   [audio.c[576] linux_audio_open_with_error]can't play: no audio
> > supportcan't play: no audio support
>
> Hmm, here snd is trying to use OSS - pretty much outdated on modern
> distributions/kernels. But why no alsa? Did you compile snd without
> alsa support?  Note: On a Debian system you need to have
> libasound2-dev installed, otherwise there won't be alsa support.
> I don't think it's an alsa problem, but you can test alsa support in
> your kernel with:
>
>  $ aplay -l
>
> This should list all alsa output devices.
> To test for the precence of alsa development files, run:
>
>  $ pkg-config --modversion alsa
>
> HTH Ralf Mattes

I installed 'jackd' & consorts (and also 'snd')
with Synaptic; I get the following messages :
rb at rene:~/pythoneon/Ondes$ snd wwus-test2.wav
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started
can't play : open read /dev/dsp: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
  [audio.c[576] linux_audio_open_with_error]can't play: no audio support

rb at rene:~/pythoneon/Ondes$ aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: AD198x Analog [AD198x Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: AD198x Digital [AD198x Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

rb at rene:~/pythoneon/Ondes$ pkg-config --modversion alsa
Package alsa was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `alsa.pc'
No package 'alsa' found