[CM] Arno in Grace?

rm at tuxteam.de rm at tuxteam.de
Thu Dec 29 03:05:52 PST 2011

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 12:09:33AM +0100, Dr. des. Alan Fabian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ok, I tried to make cm2 running on my ubuntu 10.04:
>
> - I put cm2 like Ralf recomended via cvs into /usr/local/lisp/
> - then I followed the instructions to run cm in emacs
> (/cm2/doc/emacs.html) installing 1. emacs (GNU Emacs 23) and 2. slime
> via cvs to /usr/local/lisp/ and then I made the configuration of the
> emacs-init
>
> "
> (add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/local/lisp/slime/")
> (add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/local/lisp/cm2/")
> (load "etc/emacs/cm.el")
> (enable-cm-commands)
> "

Hmm, I see - cm..el seems a bit outdated.
Nowadays I'd rather use quicklisp to get cm and slime running.
Let me try a short howto:

 * Install quicklisp (http://www.quicklisp.org/beta/)
   Quicklisp comes with a pretty good instruction on how  to
   set up your system (BTW, I'd go for sbcl).

 * Follow the instructions during installation to add quicklisp
   to your sbcl init file.

 * Install slime via Quicklisp - it's as simple as:
   (ql:quickload "quicklisp-slime-helper")
   This will print a small elisp snippet to the REPL which you
   need to add to your emacs init file (~/.emacs.d/init.el).

This is all you need to get a running Lisp system with slime
support. Try it: start emacs and do "M-x slime", you'll get
a nice REPL with completion et al.

Now for CM2: I prefer to to the asdf way (with excellent Quicklisp
support) and ignore cm.el:

 * Create a local asdf configuration. First add this to your
   sbcl init file (~/.sbclrc):

   (asdf:initialize-source-registry
   '(:source-registry
     (:directory
         #p"/home/alan/.config/common-lisp/source-registry.conf.d/")
           :inherit-configuration))

   You need to adapt the path here ...

 * Add cm2 to your asdf path. Do the following:

  $ mkdir -p  ~/.config/common-lisp/source-registry.conf.d/

  $ echo '(:directory "/usr/local/lisp/cm2/")' > ~/.config/common-lisp/source-registry.conf.d/cm2.conf

That's all. Now

 - start your emacs,
 - start lisp (M-x slime) and
 - load cm2
   In the slime repl, type: (ql:quickload :cm)
   This will load common music. Then type (cm)
   This will put you into cm's package.

Note: you can still load cm.el if you want those keybindings etc. - just
do: M-x load-library cm
It would be nice to separate slime setup and those cm addons so we
could load cm.el without messing up the slime setup.

 HTH Ralf Mattes