[CM] CM compositions on web

Terry Wisniewski terrywisniewski at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 18:20:33 PST 2010

Hello Drew and interested list-members,

Thank you very much for your response Drew. I stayed up way to late that
night listening to your compositions and going through your website looking
at code.  I have found the file you suggested and am exploring your code
avidly to enrich my own understanding of how Common Music can be utilized.
Thanks for sharing!

I figured that my use of the term "gesture" would probably be awkward for
this little idea I am exploring, but it is the most descriptive term I have
come up with so far to represent everything that is added to or encopassing
the note or notes being generated to provide meaningful content to the
experience of the listener of the notes. It seems I am still bumping into
the basic issue that brought me to Common Music as a learning and
composition tool.

As I started learning about computer assisted composition, it seemed that
two methodologies had to be learned. First, note/sound selection and then
sound synthesis. That is, if I wanted the computer to be the instrument(s)
of performance. I spend half a year working with Supercollider going through
many tutorials and David's Cottle's material. It was great fun and really
good learning, but was not easy to get to algorithmic composition. I could
create some interesting synthdef's and program some nice little patterns,
but pretty much everything was hard-coded. I did not have the skill set yet
to create any of the algorithmic processes like markov chains, cellular
automata, lindenmayer systems or any of the other recognized methods. I had
not found or discovered a personally understandable model of sclang to get
there. So I searched elsewhere, Nyquist, Csound, Snd and finally discovered
Common Music. It was while reading  Prof. Taube's writing about the
meta-level of music and music composition that something clicked.

Now, that I have gained a little more understanding and programming skill, I
can generate notes, work with rhythm, dynamics, tonal and rythmic cadences.
But for me, the music is still more than this, and it is this "more" that I
would like to have alogorithmic understanding/control of.  I reckon it is
the sound synthesis piece that I need to explore simultaneously with the
compositional basics I am gaining through working to learn Common Music.

Pardon the prattle of an absolute beginner, I will keep working, learning,
and gaining understanding of my instrument.  I appreciate your response and
wish you the best.  I look forward to hearing more of your music and
learning from your code.

Terry Wisniewski