[CM] CM 3 / Linux cant see midi ports.

Heinrich Taube taube at uiuc.edu
Sat Apr 4 05:01:25 PDT 2009

On Apr 4, 2009, at 12:17 AM, Neil Baylis wrote:

> Hi Rick,
>
> Well it was a little more complicated than I expected.. but it's
> working now.
>
> First, I decided to try the cm from svn, so I built that, but cm &
> Grace complained that libsndlib.so could not be found (at runtime..
> the build went smoothly). I have the library in /usr/local/lib, but
> specifying that as the sndlib path in the premake line didn't work.
> However, when I copied the library to /usr/lib, the apps then
> started up OK. So there might be some problem with the way it looks
> for libsndlib.so. The premake option works for the build, but seems
> not to be propagated to the runtime library load.

the whole linux midi port stuff is a disgrace. even when i manage to
open a port on linux then the cursor starts spinning.  i dont know
what to do about it, this is several layers beneath my software.

dont use shared linking , just use the .a linking.  if there is a .so
lying around then the linker wont use the .a version even thouth i
tell it to. i dontk know what to do about this.
someone added logic to my premake.lua for specifying /usr/lib
installation  prefix but i guess it doesnt work.

> I wish I had the entire score for that piece. (I just have the first
> page). I do have a recording to refer to though.

  the whole score appears in several music theory books. i think it is
less than a page total. you might look in the last few chapters of
"Tonal Harmony: With an Introduction To Twentiety Centry Music" by
Stefan Kostka and Dorothy Payne, it might be there.