[CM] CM and Knowledge Representation

Heinrich Taube taube at uiuc.edu
Wed, 5 Mar 2008 13:13:07 -0600

> Mmm, I downloaded the book "Common Lisp: the Language", but there
> isn't anything about chaining or knowledge representation.

CLTL is is the language reference, not a book about ai programming.
its a great book but not what you want

> I also have
> the book "Artificial Intelligence, a modern approach", but there is
> nothing about Lisp.

well, before Norvig did this book he did once called Paradigms of
Artificial Intelligence Programming: Case Studies in Common Lisp
here is a link to it:
	http://www.norvig.com/paip.html

> Do you know a tutorial/link/whatever to learn how to do backward
> chaining in Lisp?
> The problem is that the teacher, during the course, covered a lot of
> arguments, from Lisp, to Prolog, to description logics, to the
> semantic web, so I know very few things about a lot of things. That's
> not useful.

the easiest intro to symbolic computation in lisp and ai stuff might
still be Winston and Horn (ive not stayed in touch with AI for some
years so dont really know...), it covered list representation, pattern
matching (ie  unification for IF THEN statements in "expert systems")
and i think he covers chaining.

> Great! This is exactly what I wanted to do.
> With a knowledge base I think I can represent relationships beetween
> notes, or I can specify some harmony rules. Just I don't know how to
> implement them in Common Lisp.

another good intro is Touretzky, he covers most stuff

	http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/LispBook/