[CM] gracecl, plotter etc

Heinrich Taube taube at uiuc.edu
Wed, 5 Mar 2008 07:23:40 -0600

> o as far as i see, you don't plan to integrate plotter into gracecl.
> would it be a lot of work?

hello johannes plotter is part of the base c++ code in both apps.  i
simply havent had time to work on its feature set as ive been trying
implement rt audio and port io. I will go back to plotter as soon as i
get score buffer functionality added to ports. im close to having it
working for csound.  Once ports have score buffers all port menus will
boast a "Display.." option that sends the current score buffer
contents to plotter for GUI editing.

> (with scheme-grace, i have no interface to notation-software,
> right?, so it would be great
> to have both - plotter and fomus/mid in one application).

a couple of comments. first, fomus is in the process of being
converted from Common Lisp to C++ , you can track its current state at
its new home:
	https://sourceforge.net/projects/fomus
once David has a libfomus I will implement a Fomus port in Grace and
you will be able to send data to it from scheme.

second, you can  get notation out of grace right now if you have use
the interapplication bus to route midi port output to a notation
program.
Jake Rundall was able to do this using Sibelius last week -- he put
Sibelius in "record mode" with a measure countoff, then switched to
Grace and evalled a sprout on the downbeat. The result was realtime
midi data appearing in the Sibelus score. it was pretty cool to see.

third, there is a project now underway here a uiuc that will contain a
public domain, flexible, common practice notation tool implemented in
JUCE with GUI windows and wysiwyg pdf output. Andrew actaully has
score lines and crossplatform music fonts going, ill send a screenshot
to the list once the first note appears :)

> o in scheme-grace, i get the following error while launching:

If you are on a mac you can fix this problem by activating the
Interappliation Bus using the Audio/Midi Setup app.  the error is not
really a big deal, we attempt to open midi port[0] at startup, this is
legacy code as we were working on the midi ports that will not be in
the next release (since I am adding score buffers to ports their
default state will be closed when Grace starts up.) If you are on
linux i think you use jack to define a port (sorry i forget exactly
what to do, ill have to add a note about this in the documentation)