[CM] snd minibuffer is broken under motif front end

Bill Schottstaedt bil at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Tue Jul 22 06:17:34 PDT 2008

I'm not sure what you're referring to in regard to the cursor -- Snd has
a bunch of cursors.  The one in the graph marks a particular sample,
and if you move the view away from it, you won't see it.  Each text
widget, including the listener has a cursor (or maybe two), and these
are displayed only when that widget has "focus".  The reason (besides
the sheer irritation of looking at a screen full of blinking cursors) is
that each blink requires X server traffic (an incredible amount in Gtk's
case), and that can cause interruptions in playback.

There are lots of minor differences between the Motif and Gtk versions --
I tried to mimic the Motif version when making the Gtk version, but
the two are slowly diverging.  I like Motif, and consider Gtk inflexible,
but I'm sure it would be different if I had written the Gtk version first.

Sometimes Motif labels aren't resized correctly -- I think that's what
happened to the "file:" prompt -- this, in my opinion, is a  bug in
Motif.