[CM] multichannel files with up to 36 channels interleaved

Bill Schottstaedt bil at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Sun Jul 6 11:53:16 PDT 2008

Are you writing aifc files?  If I remember correctly, they have a 32 bit limit
on the data size, which sounds like 8 minutes at 44100 36 chans --
(/ (expt 2 32) (* 44100 60 36 4)) is about 10?

In "snd" (i.e. NeXT) files, the file size field should be ignored if it is
wrong, and in "riff" (wav) files, Snd should automatically move to
using the new extended format -- I forget the acronym.  Apple
introduced the "caf" format partly to get around the aifc limitation.

In any case, 36 chans at 44Khz for say 36 minutes looks like
13 GBytes -- I just wrote such a file, but now I'm muttering about
Snd which is taking forever to display it.