[CM] multichannel files with up to 36 channels interleaved

Ludger Bruemmer lb at zkm.de
Sun Jul 6 11:31:22 PDT 2008

Hi Bill,

I tried to generate interleaved multichannel files, especially for our
47 channel sound dome and ran into problems.
I think interleaved files would be better to read for the discs
because the head doesnt have to jump as much.
It looks that the size of multichannel files is limited in absolute
size. Computing those files resulted in shortened sounds-durations.
The more channel there are the shorter was the duration.
Is there any way I could create longer soundfiles, something like
36 channels, 48 (or even 96) kHz, 24bit and 25 minute of duration?
would the counter of the runloop need a to be special format?

The duration limit of the mentioned format is currently limited to a
duration of 8 min53 seconds.

thanks

Ludger

Prof. Ludger Brümmer

Leitung Institut für Musik und Akustik
Head of Institute for Music and Acoustics

/////// |< |||| ZKM|Zentrum für Kunst und Medientechnologie
/////// |< |||| Center for Art and Media
/////// |< |||| Centre d'Art et de Technologie des Medias

Lorenzstrasse 19 . D - 76135 Karlsruhe
P.O. Box 6909 . D - 76049 Karlsruhe

Phone +49 721 8100-1600 Fax +49 721 8100-1699
email: lb at zkm.de  http://www.zkm.de/musik  http://www.sumtone.com/lb