[CM] snd: cannot set hardware parameters for default

Funny Zen funny_zen at yahoo.com
Thu, 24 Jan 2008 19:05:55 -0800 (PST)

--0-1024944160-1201230355=:33428

Well the discussion has gone far beyond my understanding, but in case anybody wonders what was finally the problem, snd works ok with jack, I was just not starting it properly, needed to enable "Monitor" in the setup (I don't know what this does but I have to enable it to have sound). And also (setf *clm-player* (/usr/bin/sndplay") works, thanks Fernando. And on the clm problem, it's a strange thing but it doesn't have anything to do with sbcl or clm themselves, I think, probably it's a problem with slime (I use emacs/slime/sbcl). I was always changing the current directory from the initial one (/home/user/) to something else (/home/user/somethingelse/) which is the directory I want to work in. And this is the problem, with the command

(with-sound () (fm-violin 0 5 440 0.5))

or something similar it creates a totally empty file in the new current directory and another file that contains the sound in /home/user/. If I do not change the path at all it works ok, but I have to use

(with-sound (:output "/home/user/somethingelse/file.snd") (fm-violin 0 5 440 0.5))

to write the file in the directory that I want, which of course is not a very convenient thing to do in every command that I use. In a terminal I do not have this problem even if I change the path so it's definitely an emacs/slime problem. So I'll try to figure it out on my own or address to the slime list, I don't think it has to do anything with this list so I won't bother you with this anymore!

But anyway thanks for your help guys!!!

FunnyZen

Bill Schottstaedt <bil@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote: On the clm problem: when in doubt, simplify.  Start sbcl in a shell,
load all.lisp, and try

(with-sound () )

That should give you a file with a header (say 24 to 200 bytes).
If not, I don't know what to suggest.  Perhaps there's a way to use strace
in that case to watch the file ops.  Next compile and load the violin,
and try

(with-sound () (fm-violin 0 1 440 .1))

If that makes an empty file (with a header), my next step would probably be to put
a print statement in the instrument to see if it's being called at all, and
so on.

--0-1024944160-1201230355=:33428

      <hr size=1>Never miss a thing.  <a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51438/*http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs"> Make Yahoo your homepage.</a>

--0-1024944160-1201230355=:33428--