[CM] snd: cannot set hardware parameters for default

Thu, 24 Jan 2008 11:07:01 -0800

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 12:41 -0800, Bill Schottstaedt wrote:
> > The alsa api is not horrible but it is very complicated. Most
> > programmers don't spend the necessary time to understand it
>
> I sit here biting my tongue and grinding my teeth, if that's
> anatomically possible.  The code is nearly the way you left it,
> although I made some changes when Alsa went through some
> backwards incompatible changes.  I say the Alsa API is horrible
> (there! I bit my tongue, and it did no good).

[sloooowwww in turning on brain.....]

Oh, now I think I see. No, I was not referring to you as a "programmer
that doesn't spend the necessary time", _far_ from it. I was thinking of
the programmers that wrote mplayer and other apps' alsa layer that
don't/didn't work very well[*].

Any problems in the alsa code in snd are my own.
-- Fernando

[*] the problem used to be that they assume that the world is stereo and
don't probe for what the card can/can't do before blindly trying to set
up parameters (and failing for some configurations).