[CM] what linux?

Juan I Reyes juanig at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Tue, 26 Feb 2008 13:06:08 -0500

Ralf,

Thanks a lot for all you info. I was not aware so many people are
working RT Kernels and it's good to know. But I reiterate the RT Kernel
is a big issue. On my case I have used RT Kernels on many concerts doing
multi-channel pieces with no problem at all. Even using SND on a
performance situation with a USB interface (though no inputs), jack,
qjackctl, and very few latency problems.

I am a big ALSA fan. I have not used OSS drivers since the last
millenium.  However, what I was trying to portrait is that although
configuring cards has became almost automatic, if you are using a
multi-channel card or multiple cards on your system, ALSA is not so user
friendly and you have to rely on something like PlanetCCRMA.

As for IEEE-1394 interfaces, I know the FFADO (FreeBob) guys have been
doing a great job, but can you easily recommend a firewire interface as
an investment to one of your students if they are using Linux ?. I am
sure FFADO guys are getting good results but still in order to get this
sort of equipment working requires sysad knowledge.

I have not used Ubuntu at all, so I cannot speak on its behalf. Some of
my students are very happy with Ubuntu-studio and complain very little
about it. I have seen them doing laptop VJ and DJ performance with their
Ubuntu systems.

I am sorry if I misled you but I am not saying PlanetCCRMA is better
than other media oriented distros. What I am trying to say is that I
have used Fernando's RT Kernel with good results. I have not used
anything else in a concert situation in front of a 200 people, so you
are right, I cannot tell. But what I can say for sure is that long are
the days on which I had to transfer sound files and scripts to other
operating systems or equipment.

  Cheers,

  --*  Juan