[CM] file ops

Bill Schottstaedt bil@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Fri, 25 May 2007 07:09:09 -0700

Since several people seem to be worrying about disk accesses --
I think that modern OS's (linux in particular)
automatically cache files in RAM -- what appear to be disk ops are
actually references to memory.  In the bad old days you had to use
mmap or something -- I forget how it used to work.
This info itself may be out-of-date -- I am not an OS wizard!

My first thought when I hear about dropouts is not "disk ops", but
"garbage collection", and then "X server traffic", and then "some
background process".   I believe the latter is one thing that
Fernando's real-time kernel deals with.  And Motif generates
at least an order of magnitude less X traffic than Gtk.
As I say, I don't actually know anything...